Friday, April 12, 2013

A Facebook Tale

I begin today feeling as big as the universe and as essential as those string theory threads.   I feel that for you too.  Let me tell you the story.

I am part of a  small group on Facebook participating in National Poetry Month by posting poems.  They are mostly original works (and some crackingly good ones!), and occasionally someone will post a work by some other published author.  Marcia, a woman I have never met except through Facebook, posted this by a poet of the 1800's:


Who Has Seen The Wind? 
  by Christina Rossetti

Who has seen the wind?    
Neither I nor you:            
But when the leaves hang trembling,     
The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?   
Neither you nor I:    
But when the trees bow down their heads,  
The wind is passing by.  


I felt inspired by this piece, and wrote the following as a sort of homage and extension:


I Have Seen the Wind.
  by Katherine Hamilton

I have seen the wind
It is just behind my eyes
Creating space for landscapes,
A place for lover’s sighs

You have seen the wind.
It is just behind my eyes
Creating gusts of discontent
And room for love’s demise


And then Marcia posts the following:  
               
"Katherine, it's interesting how a little something I read in a daily devotional email caused me                                  to think of that one line, "Who has seen the wind?"  Then I felt like posting the poem here, and you  composed a poem which sums up the twelve-year relationship with my ex-beau which I ended last September."


We are all the wind, and the wind connects us all.





No comments:

Post a Comment