Saturday, May 26, 2012

In the desert, with friends

May 25, 2012

Good morning from Tubac, Arizona.  The desert is windy, dry, sunny and starkly beautiful.

That is as far as I got in the morning before the day's activities began.  It was a lovely day of shopping in the artisan and boutique shops with the girls, and that lovely, easy and intimate conversation shared by women of a certain age.  We speak of the vagaries of aging, both our own and that of our parents, some dead.  We talk about the funny and joyful moments in life that balance out the difficult ones.  It was "girls night" in the kitchen to make us all dinner, and we fall into that seamless teamwork that is one of the things I value most about female camaraderie.  At the dinner table, we all laugh until our cheeks hurt.

Now, it is night.  The sky is a revelation, reminding me of the vastness of the universe.   I feel at once humbled and small, and also as exalted and expansive as the cosmos.  The separateness of my self merges into oneness with All.  It is how I often feel when meditating.  And how wonderful to feel this connection and unity, to live it in these few days I am spending with family of my heart.

I feel deeply grateful, and look forward to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment