Wednesday, June 13, 2012

And now for something completely different...

Well, I got nothing today save this little item.

I try to practice mindfulness if I am walking somewhere outside.  I endeavor to get out of my head and whatever it is I am preoccupied with at the moment, and really notice what is all around me.  You know, the sky, the plants, the warmth of the sun, the sounds, and all the small details that I would never see without directing my attention in that way.

So I am walking back to my office from lunch, and I see a woman walking her dog.  The dog is a closely cropped mottled black and white,  with a bobbed tail, some breed subtype of a spaniel, sturdy and handsome.

But what stops me in my tracks are the eyelashes.  The dog has eyelashes that are, without exaggeration, at least four inches long, sweeping dramatically out to the side.  I have never seen anything like it before in my life, and I am charmed and stop to talk briefly to the owner about it.

And then I notice something that makes my jaw drop:  the dog has a penis.

Now, with people, I think of myself as the tolerant type, live and let live, and whatever floats your boat is just fine with me.   I like the unexpected, the incongruent, the quirky; I am happy to walk alongside someone marching to the beat of a different drummer.  In fact, I love a man in eyeliner, but that is the subject of a different post.

So I am bemused that I find myself applying human gender stereotypes to a dog, to the point that my initial reaction is mild shock when I see this sweet creature.  I am laughing to myself as I extend my hand palm down in greeting, and the dog responds, as dogs tend to do, with interest, and he accepts a pat on the head.

A tranny canine?  Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment